This series highlights the mid-majors who upset the big schools and make a name for themselves – those schools deserve to be misrepresented and defamed in print at least as much as top programs from money conferences.
We wanted to write about Wichita State University last week, but DePaul’s huge upset of Kansas derailed that idea. This year, the commuter school from Wichita, Kansas has taken out last year’s final four darling George Mason, as well as ranked teams from Syracuse and LSU, ending up in the top 10. As those big-time schools learned, this is the year of The Shocker, baby!
Wichita State is no stranger to success. Famous alumni include the original NBA Big Dog, Antoine Carr; Xavier McDaniel, whose courtside interview famously forestalled ejaculation in the 1992 film Singles; Bill Parcells, The Extrapolater’s mom, several active and retired MLB stars, and the BTK serial killer. Are any of the current Shockers up to those lofty standards? Let’s take a look.
- Is smirking in this picture because he just read the Wikipedia entry about The Shocker…. for the fifth time
- Is originally from Topeka, so Wichita seems like a verdant paradise to him
- During a coaching stint at Jacksonville State University, enraged locals by adopting a Bobby Boucher accent during press conferences
- Is a Dapper Dan man
- Full name is Prince Pierre, which would make him P. P. Couisnard by my alphabet
- Believes that it was Gheorge Muresan University that kept WSU out of the Final Four in 2005
- Is desperately afraid his teammates will find out he lettered in soccer in high school
- Was Colorado’s Mr. Basketball in 2004, which is annually awarded to the High School player most likely to blow off the state’s three Division 1 Universities and star somewhere else
- Missed three games his sophomore season after rupturing his spleen laughing at the hair removal scene in The 40 Year Old Virgin
- Likes his martinis shaken, then stirred, then thrown in his face by a freshman girl
- Led the Shockers in injuries in 2005, averaging 1.3 per game
- Real last name is Brar, but he threw some extra vowels in there just to screw with the Sports Information director
- Little known fact: Matt studied Pan flute under Zamfir for six years
- Is wearing a clip-on tie in his official photo
- Says he watches Grey’s Anatomy for the hot babes, but secretly wants to know if Meredith and McDreamy will ever get together for good
- Is grooming himself to take over if New York Times crossword puzzle master Will Shortz ever starts slippin’ and/or trippin’
- Was being sincere when he signed his senior yearbook “stay cool, I’ll see you this summer!”
- Played one year for Bill Self at Illinois, and tried to follow him to Kansas, but got lost in Wichita and just stayed there
- May have been conceived on Rick James’ tour bus
The Extrapolater grew up in Wichita, so it makes him happy to be able to write about this great team from one of the scariest mid-major conferences in America. Along with WSU, the likes of Illinois State, Bradley and Creighton have thrown many a big boy out of the NCAA tournament over the years. Who knows – maybe one of them will be the next feature for “Who the hell are…”
I kid because I love here at Extrapolater. However, I do have a site dedicated to getting the straight dope about colleges across America, called College Rule Notebook. If you’d like to set me straight, take the quick survey. We’ll dig up links & photos to illustrate your answers.