OK, The Channel Four News team is getting geared up for the Liveblogpocalypse over at Awful Announcing today. I will be starting off with the Maryland/Davidson tilt just a bit after noon. Since a day of live-blogging brings a certain bunker mentality, I have a survival kit put together for today:
- USA Today March Madness Section (oversized brackets for my appalling handwriting, and nice team capsules)
- Deadspin PDF of team capsules (for the more interesting facts about each team, and a good laugh)
- Kansas t-shirt (My hometown, my alma mater, O captain, my captain!)
- ODU coffee mug (I’ve taken some professional writing courses there and have a secondary crush on the basketball team)
- Virginia hat (My residence is in C’ville, my son was born here, and I love the Leitao way. UVA doesn’t play until tomorrow, but I can’t be messing with my superstitions on day one)
- Coffee (I bought something called “Wildlife Blend”. I think it has bits of panther in it. It stings the nostrils… in a good way)
- Frozen foods (Jose Ole taquitos, a small Red Baron cheese pizza)
- Beer (sixer of San Francisco’s finest – Anchor Steam)
- Rolaids (Oh, you know I’m going to need these, between the food, the coffee, and the games themselves)
In addition, since we found out that our plucky little band of misanthropes and underachievers will be competing with some pretty impressive sites on this whole live-blogging thing, I had to come up with a credo – something that would set our coverage apart from the rest:
The Awful Announcing Channel Four News team will be:
- Faster: We’d rather throw a half-baked joke at you every 2 minutes than take 10 minutes to craft something quality and leave you hanging.
- More irreverent: We will make fun of your team, his team, her team, and our own favorite team. And especially the announcers.
- More inebriated: Between the beer and the cough medicine, it should be off the hook, or whatever you kids are calling it these days.
Despite all that, I think a pep talk is in order. And fortunately for us, One More Dying Quail (a member of the team!) wrote an instant-classic post giving me a choice of what kind of pep talk I need. I’ve chosen this one:
I have goosebumps. I’m going to charge out to my recliner, pop open a beer, and write my ass off!!!!!
(and no, I’m not going to tell you who Mohawk is in this scenario. I control the flow of information here.)